Pie Crust Recipe – 2 Pie shells
- 2 cups Daily Grind or Have your Cake and Pastry flour too!
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup Cold Butter cut into chunks
- 6 to 7 Tbsp Cold Water
- Mix the first 3 ingredients by hand. Make sure the butter chunks are big! As big as your thumb! Add just enough super cold water to bring together.
- Flour your work surface well
- Flatten to a 6” circle. Fold in half.
- Roll out to a 6” circle and fold in half again.
- You should see big chunks of butter.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes
- Roll out and place on a pie plate. (I sometimes like to put it back in the fridge 😊)
Vintage Pumpkin Pie Filling
This is a very old recipe! It is heavily spiced so feel free to adjust the spices lower if you like a lighter flavour.
Cook small pie pumpkin until soft and puree.
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 6oz can evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
Preheat oven to 400F
Combine all ingredients above and pour into the unbaked pie shell. Bake at 400F for 50 minutes until a knife comes out clean (2/3 the way to the center of the Pie)
Serve with a healthy serving of whipped cream!