Simple Upside Down Rhubarb Cake – Whole Wheat Flour
What you need:
For the caramel:
57g (1/2 stick, ¼ cup) unsalted butter
75g (1/3 cup) dark brown sugar
For the cake:
300g rhubarb, trimmed
160g (1 cup) 1847 Run of the Mill Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
110g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
57g (1/2 stick, ¼ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
60mls (1/4 cup) whole milk
Buy 1847 Whole Wheat Flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease the sides of a 9inch round cake tin.
- Heat the butter and brown sugar in a small pan over medium-high heat until the sugar has melted.
- Remove from the heat and pour into the prepared cake tin, making sure to cover the base evenly.
- Cut the rhubarb in the size/ shapes you want to cover the bottom of the cake tin. The rhubarb will shrink as it cooks so try to pack it fairly tightly.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg, then the egg white, mixing to combine thoroughly after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add the milk and mix until smooth.
- Pour over rhubarb/ caramel, gently smoothing the top with an offset spatula.
- Carefully tap the tin on a hard surface to settle the batter over the fruit.
- Bake at 350˚F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes then invert onto another wire rack, picking out any pieces of fruit that stick (there are usually a few) and replacing them gently on top of the cake.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
You can replace the rhubarb with approx 300g apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced.