Recipe submitted by: Tamara
“I love your new Einkorn flour which works superbly in these Einkorn Shortbreads. Using good butter and just a pinch of salt really brings out the toasty, wheaty flavours of the flour. I found it in the wonderful new cookbook by Roxana Jullapat called “Mother Grains”.”
- ¼ cup (30g) confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup packed (55g) dark brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick/115g) unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (85g) einkorn flour
- ½ cup (70g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the two sugars for 1 minute. Add the butter and pulse to combine. Add the flours, and salt and pulse until dough comes together. Turn dough out onto the work surface and knead into a disk about 6 inches diameter. Put the disk between two 16-by-12 inceh pieces of parchment paper and with a rolling pin roll the dough from the centre out until it is ½ inch think. Peel off the top sheet of parchment. Using a 2 ½” cookie cutter, stamp out the cookies and transfer them to prepared baking sheet, spaced 1” apart. Gather the scraps and reroll as you did before to cut a few more cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes then rotate the baking sheets and switch their positions in the oven. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until light golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely on the baking sheets.
Cookies can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.